Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Quick Q&A with Knights LHP / White Sox No. 12 prospect Scott Snodgress

Scott Snodgress compiled a 6-7 record with a 3.89 ERA in 21 starts for the Double-A Birmingham Barons before being promoted to the Knights on Thursday. The 24-year-old 6-foot-6-inch southpaw tossed a one-two-three ninth inning with two strikeouts on the day of his callup. 

The appearance out of the bullpen was Snodgress' first since his junior season at Stanford University. He entered this season ranked as the 12th best prospect in the Chicago White Sox system by MLB.com.

He answered a few questions on Tuesday... 

When was the last time you made a relief appearance?

Snodgress: I was a reliever primarily in college, so I have some experience with it. It’s just another opportunity, however they need to use me.

How comfortable did you feel coming out of the pen the other night?

Snodgress: It felt fine. It’s the same game – you’re just coming in at a different point so it didn't feel too much different than starting does to me to be honest.

Do you approach the game differently knowing you’re only throwing an inning or two?

Snodgress: I’d like to think that I’ll be throwing a little bit harder since I don’t have as many pitches that I’ll be throwing throughout the course of he game, and also, I’m probably going to limit it to two or three pitches primarily, as opposed to mixing in four. But that doesn’t mean that I won’t ever throw all four. I threw them all in my outing the other night.

What pitch are you planning to phase out?

Snodgress: I think, eventually, I’m going to get to where I’m throwing three pitches. Right now, I’m thinking I’m going to keep my curveball and slider and probably lose the changeup. But to be honest, I don’t even like thinking about losing a pitch. I hope to use all four, but my primary three will be the slider, curveball and fastball.

What did the White Sox say when they promoted you and shifted you to the pen?

Snodgress: They just said that, ‘We want to see how you do out of the bullpen,’ and kind of left it at that. They said, ‘You’ve been doing a good job as a starter and we’d like to see you out of the bullpen.’ They haven’t said too much other than that.

0 comments: